Friday, May 8, 2009

Ground Turkey Sausage

While browsing recipes, I found a recipe for ground turkey sausage. I loved the concept of using ground turkey for a healthier option, but when I tried the recipe, I wasn't very impressed. I figured I would experiment with some ingredients and come up with my own recipe. I had every intention of doing this, but before I could get to it, I found this recipe

Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
1 lb ground turkey
2 tsp dried sweet basil leaves
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg
I also add 1 tsp dried sage

I usually double or triple this recipe for freezing.
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.
At this point I leave in the refrigerator for at least a day to blend the flavors.
These can be formed into any shape you like, but what I like to do is cook it in 1 lb portions, breaking it up into bite-size pieces. When fully cooked and slightly cooled, I lay the sausage on cookie sheets and flash-freeze, then put into freezer bags. This will make it easy to take out just the amount I want when using in a recipe such as pizza, pasta dishes, soups and sausage and pepper subs.

No comments: