Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My New Favorite Appliance

My rice cooker. For the longest time, whenever I made rice, it would be instant rice. I could never master cooking regular rice. I would make attempts every so often, never being happy with the results and then go back to instant. That was until I bought a rice cooker. It's so simple; after rinsing the rice, place it in the cooker pot with water, turn it on and leave it alone. It shuts off when the rice is done. Before, I would make rice as a side dish. Now, I will make rice as the main dish with vegetables and meat added to it. Last night that is what I did.

Rice and Grilled Steak Skillet Dinner

  • 4-6 cups cooked rice
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • desired spices (I used both Adobo seasoning, and this spice (which is a grilling spice, and added to the rice with the steak really brings out the 'grilled' taste of the dish)). Lately, I've gotten more comforable with experimenting with spices and will just add whatever sounds good, usually being pleasantly surprised.
  • 4 cups desired vegetable (I used a frozen mixture of corn, peas, green beans and diced carrots, thawed)
  • 1 lb marinated, grilled steak (I'm sure chicken or pork would have been just as good), cut into small pieces.

Heat oil in skillet; add rice and seasonings, mixing well. Add vegetables and grilled steak; adjust seasonings to taste. Continue to cook until heated through.

I also served baked beans with this.

No comments: