Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mexican Style Pizza

My local BJ's (Wholesale Club) has a large selection of McCormick spices and seasoning mixes in large, over-sized containers. This is how I buy my taco seasoning. I haven't actually broken down the price, but for less than $10.00 for a 24 oz container, the savings are much greater than buying the individual packages, even on sale and with coupons. If tacos and taco dishes are often on your menu, I highly recommend buying taco seasoning this way.
When making taco meat, I usually use a combination of ground beef and ground turkey. I'll make 2 or 3 lbs and freeze in 1/2 lb portions. One of these portions is enough for tacos one night and pizza the following night for me and the kids. (My husband's not a big taco fan so he fends for himself on taco nights). I also use this taco meat for soups, past dishes, and casseroles.
I've been making pizza with taco meat for a while now, but just recently found this recipe for a cornmeal pizza crust. It definitely adds something special.


Cornmeal Pizza Crust
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil

Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt; mix.
Make a well in the center and add water and oil.
Combine and knead for about 8 minutes until the dough is elastic and shiny.
Makes 2 small (8 in.) or 1 large (12 in.) crust


Mexican Style Pizza
Cornmeal pizza crust (recipe above)
1/3 cup pizza sauce
1/3 cup salsa
1 cup shredded taco cheese
1/3 cup prepared taco meat.
1/4 cup sliced olives

Prepare crusts.
Combine pizza sauce and salsa; spread onto crust.
Top with cheese, taco meat and olives.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

No comments: