Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fast Food - Pizza Strips

Although I love cooking, there are days that are just too busy to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. And there are those days when my kids have friends over unexpectedly, and I need to stretch a meal and make sure it's kid-friendly. I try to always keep pre-baked pizza shells in the freezer (they also keep well for awhile in the fridge). I always have containers of pizza sauce in the freezer, and shredded cheese in the refrigerator. For toppings, I use whatever is on hand. I've combined pizza sauce and salsa, added Mexican blend shredded cheese, and topped with taco meat and sliced olives. Broccoli and pepperoni... sausage and peppers... There are lots of options and I never seem to have a problem putting a good pizza together with whatever I can find in the house, without having to make a shopping trip. I like to use the large, rectangular (18"x12")? prepared pizza crust. My local market sells them 2 in a package for $6.00. A pizza made with one of these serves 4-6.


Pizza Strips

1 large, rectagular (18"x12") pizza crust
2 cups pizza sauce
2-3 cups shredded cheese
desired toppings
olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 375'.
Brush bottom of crust with oil; turn over.
Assemble pizza; sauce, cheese, toppings.
Place on large cookie sheet turned upside down.
Bake for 10 minutes on bottom rack.
With pizza cutter, cut pizza in half to make 2- 18"x6" pieces; cut each of these into 9- 6"x2" strips.

No comments: