Monday, May 18, 2009

Portuguese Sausage Stew

Although my husband is full-blooded Portuguese (I'm French), this is the only Portuguese dish I've ever learned to make. This morning, here in Rhode Island, it's very raw and cold outside; a great day for this dish. With Summer coming and warmer weather on the way, I try to spend these cooler days making comfort food (and that's just what this is). I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does :)

1 lb Portuguese sausage (chourico or linguica)
2 cans red beans (kidney, pinto...)
water
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups diced carrots
3 cups diced potatoes (red potatoes are best)

Cut up sausage into bite-size pieces (I usually tear mine apart for a more 'rustic' stew).
Add beans (do not drain), crushing half of the beans (this is what makes the stew thick).
Add water (I use the cans that the beans came in to measure the water, and use about 3).
Bring to a boil; lower heat and let simmer for about 1/2 an hour.
Add pepper, carrots and potatoes; let simmer for another 20 - 30 minutes.
This makes about 6 servings.
Great served with toasted French or Italian bread.

No comments: