Friday, May 29, 2009

Made from Scratch - 'Catalina' style Salad Dressing


My son, Joshua, has always loved the 'Catalina' style salad dressing. Once, when I ran out of it, I decided to search for a recipe to make my own. Since then I've been making my own salad dressings (Italian, Asian, honey-mustard...). There are so many great recipes out there, and it's pretty simple to do. Plus I like to know what's in my food, and with making your own you can do this. Salad dressing can also be very high in sodium, and this way you can also control that.
After trying quite a few different 'Catalina' dressing recipes (some with quite a long list of ingredients), I came across this one. It has the fewest ingredients of all the recipes I've tried, and I feel has the best flavor. Sometimes less is really more. This recipe came from Recipezaar. If you go to this link, the recipe says 'E-Z French Dressing'. When I think of French Dressing, I think of the thick orange stuff (what makes that orange color, anyway?); this is not like that at all. I also make only half of the recipe as posted there. My recipe makes enough to fill a 12 oz cruet bottle.


Catalina-style salad dressing

1/2 cup corn oil (or any other salad oil)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in cruet bottle; shake well to combine.

No comments: