Sunday, May 3, 2009

In Season... Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie


Today I made my first strawberry-rhubarb pie of the season. The strawberries came from our local market and the rhubarb came from my back yard. Cooking with rhubarb makes me think of years ago, eating peeled rhubarb dipped in sugar at my Memere's with my cousins. I introduced it to my kids and they love it. It's a favorite Spring and Summer treat. They introduce it to friends who come over, most of who have never tried it before.
This recipe comes from a cookbook my mom gave me right before I got married (almost 20 years ago); 'Betty Crocker's Cookbook'. This is a great beginner's cookbook, but even after years of cooking, I still refer to it often. It's where I go to find the most basic version of a recipe or to learn how to cook or prepare a particular ingredient. Some of these basic recipes from my 20-something year old cookbook seem to be missing from the newer versions. Things have been changed to 'improve' the recipes, but this is the strawberry-rhubarb pie recipe I always come back to.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
pastry for 2-crust pie (I use 'Jiffy' pie crust mix)
1-1/3 cups sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp grated orange peel, if desired
2 cups cut up strawberries
2 cups cut up rhubarb
2 Tbsp butter or margarine

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Prepare pastry.
Mix sugar, flour and orange peel together.
Combine strawberies and rhubarb.
Turn half of the strawberry-rhubarb combination into pastry lined pie plate.
Sprinkle with half of the sugar mixture.
Repeat with remaining fruit and sugar mixtures.
Dot with butter.
Cover with top crust that has slits in it; seal and flute.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Cover edge with foil strip to avoid axcessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
Bake until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust; 40 to 50 minutes.
Serve topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments: